KU Athletics Teams with Altius Sports to Enhance NIL Program
LAWRENCE, Kan. (June 17, 2022) – Kansas Athletics announced today a new partnership with Altius Sports Partners (Altius Sports), the leading NIL launch platform and external innovation department to premier collegiate athletics departments and sports properties, to further bolster the school’s NIL program. Altius’ platform will provide KU Athletics with innovative and strategic guidance on policy and initiatives as well as customized educational support to benefit all Jayhawk stakeholders.
“Throughout the first year of name, image and likeness, our goal has been to build a foundation based upon education and personal brand development so that our student-athletes are best positioned to navigate the uncharted waters of NIL,” said Kansas Director of Athletics Travis Goff. “Our partnership with Altius Sports provides impactful tools as we strategically move into the second phase of our NIL program, in concert with our new Director of NIL Services role and our Jayhawks Ascend program.”
The partnership is designed to maintain KU Athletics’ position on the cutting edge in the changing collegiate environment. The Altius Sports team will provide coaches and staff with educational workshops and resources targeting areas such as group licensing, managing external partnerships, and recruiting. Altius Sports will also assist in identifying and advising on strategies to support and empower the program’s student-athletes across varsity sports.
Altius Sports – an official partner of athletics departments in all Power 5 conferences and the Big East – specializes in developing and managing innovative programs around NIL. Through its expertise, services and intellectual resources, the firm’s comprehensive approach fuels strategic vision, planning and collaboration to ensure that all participants can navigate change and succeed in the exciting new collegiate landscape.
“Success and sustainability amidst the ongoing evolution of collegiate athletics requires innovation and collaboration, and Kansas is embracing that mindset. We look forward to combining forces with the Jayhawks to build on a solid foundation and proactively equip all KU stakeholders to navigate this new era responsibly and successfully – now and for years to come,” said Altius Sports VP, Collegiate Partnerships Andrew Donovan.
Backed by operational leadership and a best-in-class client services team, the cross-disciplinary network of partners and advisory team members at Altius includes:
- Oliver Luck (Chairman, Altius Sports), sports business leader and former Commissioner of the XFL, EVP for Regulatory Affairs and Strategic Partnerships for the NCAA, and Athletic Director at West Virginia.
- John Entz, 14-time Emmy winner and former President of Production at Fox Sports, SVP at MLB Network and producer at ESPN.
- Gabe Feldman, Director of the Tulane Sports Law Program, Associate Provost for NCAA Compliance and Co-Director of Tulane Center for Sport.
- Renie Anderson, CRO and EVP, Partnerships at the NFL.
- David Carter, Principal of the Sports Business Group, and a professor of sports business at USC’s Marshall School of Business.
- Jené Elzie, former Pac-12 athlete and current Chief Growth Officer for Athletes First Partners, sister company of Athletes First, the nation’s largest NFL talent agency.
- Michael O’Hara Lynch, former global head of sponsorship marketing at Visa, Inc. and global head of consulting at Nielson Sports, currently partner in 3 Emerald Marketing.
- Jessica Mendoza, former Pac-12 athlete and Olympic gold medalist is a broadcaster for ESPN.
- Kenneth Shropshire, CEO of the Global Sport Institute, and professor at Arizona State.
- Malcolm Turner, sports business executive and former Vice Chancellor and Athletics Director at Vanderbilt and President of the NBA G League.
About Altius Sports Partners
Altius is a leading NIL launch platform and external innovation department that delivers consulting, strategic planning, compliance support and education to its clients. An official partner of premier collegiate athletic departments and sports properties, Altius provides strategic solutions on topics ranging from NIL to the shifting landscape of employment and media rights within college athletics. Altius currently represents athletics departments at Arizona, Clemson, Duke, Georgia, Georgetown, Indiana, Kansas, LSU, Marquette, Miami, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Northwestern, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Penn State, Purdue, South Carolina, USC, Tennessee, Texas, Villanova, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin. Altius has also partnered with Women Leaders in College Sports. Providing all stakeholders – athletics departments, coaches, and college athletes – with resources they need to thrive in the new age of college athletics, Altius leverages its deep reservoir of sports business sophistication to help those impacted to prepare and excel. It has built a team of cross-disciplinary leaders to reach higher levels of education, higher access to opportunities and higher standards of excellence.